Sunday, October 19, 2008

Glowing Tribute

















Lighters are definitely a common object to feature September 11th homages. I will be posting other examples in the future, but this one (like my very first post) is unique. The lighter features a built-in light that turns on when the top is flipped open. This light shines through a blue colored airplane shape on the metal case. The case features the Twin Towers and this almost angelic blue plane. The message here is an odd one. On one hand, it is clear that the America flag makes this lighter a patriotic object. On the other hand, why choose the plane to "glow?" The plane seems more a symbol of the weapon that impacted and destroyed the Towers. Why not choose the Twin Towers to "glow?" Maybe the plane is a religious symbol flying skyward? Another interesting example offering different interpretations.


Additional info:
I found a variation of this light recently that was offered for sale that featured a red plane instead of blue. The red light that lit up the plane would blink off and on. Here is the post that offered info on the light according to the seller:

I BOUGHT THIS LIGHTER IN MICHIGAN RIGHT AFTER 911. THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD.

THAT A CERTAIN COUNTRY MADE THIS LIGHTER TO PROFIT FROM THE 911 AND MAKE THEM SELFS LOOK GOOD. I WAS TOLD THAT THE FBI WAS CHECKING ON THIS. AFTER THAT YOU COULD NOT FIND THIS LIGHTER ANYWHERE. I HAVEN'T SEEN ANOTHER ONE. THERE IS AN AMERICAN FLAG ON BOTH FRONT AND BACK OF LIGHTER.--------------- THERE IS THREE SILVER STARS ON EACH SIDE OF THE PART WHERE THE FLAME COMES OUT. YOU CAN FIND OUT YOURSELF WHAT THE THREE STARS STAND FOR. ALSO WHEN YOU LIGHT THE LIGHTER THE PLANE LIGHTS UP RED ON AND OFF. SO IT LOOKS LIKE THE PLANE IS GOING TO CRASH INTO THE TOWERS. THIS IS A SICK LIGHTER BUT VERY COLLECTABLE. THE PLANE WILL NOT LIGHT UP NOW. I GUESS THE BATTERY WENT DEAD. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO REPLACE IT. I THING YOU HAVE TO PRY THE LIGHTER APART. I ALSO LET THE GAS OUT OF IT. JUST NEEDS TO BE REFILLED. THE LIGHTER IS STILL NEW IN ITS WRAPPER. JUST BEEN SITTING ALL THESE YEARS.

No comments: