Monday, September 5, 2011

Danbury Mint "Twin Towers" 9/11 Commemorative Figurine







































I will be the first to say that this is a striking model, created by the Danbury Mint. This model is very detailed, and features a decorative plaque quoting President George W. Bush:

"We will not waver, we will not tire;
we will not falter; and we will not fail.
Peace and freedom will prevail."


The object is not unique in terms of being one of many examples of commemorative items (some of which I feature here in my collection). I do wonder the purpose of such an item. I would guess that someone who purchases this tribute would display it in their home. But there is more to this Twin Towers model. People buy this object to feel connected to the memory and event of September 11th. It makes the tragedy of 9/11 into a tangible, consumable object.

No comments: