Thursday, October 30, 2008

Light Tribute




This is truly the first object I acquired that was the start to my collection. I purchased this in a store (name escapes me) on Main Street in Saratoga Springs late 2001 or Spring of 2002. The pictures don't quite illustrate what it is, but if you are familiar with the 50's car pictures with blinking tail lights you may see at a local diner or restaurant, this the same object. It is an interesting collection of images with the twin towers in the skyline and fire trucks and finally roses with a poem at the bottom of the picture. Lights blink on top of the towers and the fire trucks, bringing the picture to life in a way. This object is a mass-produced tribute item. I'm sure there could other connections evident. For example, I would think this type of object could be contrasted against the painted battle depictions or tribute art of the 18th or 19th centuries.

No comments: